Now Accepting Applications for 2018 Apprentices
Aug 22, 2017 through Oct 15, 2017
About the Program. The Adams Apprenticeship is a game-changing program designed for “all-in” entrepreneurs. We're seeking those few exceptional, high-achieving student leaders who have a passion and drive for innovating and disrupting -- for creating opportunities and demonstrating results.
Unique to Kenan-Flagler and UNC, the Adams Apprenticeship is a year-long opportunity designed to harness your entrepreneurial aspirations and launch them into hyperdrive. We fully expect this highly selective learning experience to accelerate your career and, ultimately, impact the global entrepreneurial ecosystem.
If you are fully vested in making the transition to an entrepreneurial career within five years of graduation -- as a founder, a funder or a growth executive at an entrepreneurial venture -- we invite you to submit your credentials to the Adams Apprenticeship.
If you have questions, email us: email@example.com
Who Should Apply. The program will accept 10-15 undergraduate juniors and 10-15 graduate students. All UNC programs are eligible, and graduate students must be in their second-to-last year of their program (eg. 1st year MBA, 2L, 1st year of Masters, 3rd year of PhD.) The program spans the calendar year to optimize for students’ recruiting and venture launches (Jan 2018 - Dec 2018.). We are looking for exceptional students from across UNC who are committed to pursuing an entrepreneurial career as a founder, funder or growth executive, and who are committed to building personal connections to accelerate their career goals.
Application Process. The first application window opens on August 22, 2017, and the deadline is October 15, 2017. Interviews will be conducted by panels of former apprentices, advisors and faculty on November 17th at the Adams Fall Conference. We will accept between 20-30 students. Notice of acceptance/rejection occurs by December 1st.
Info Session: We encourage you to attend our info session on September 14, from 5:00-7:0 pm at Launch Chapel Hill, 306 W Franklin St. Please sign up here.
- Exclusive access to private networking events with Adams Advisors in Chapel Hill, San Francisco and New York
- Invitation to inaugural Adams Entrepreneurial Pioneer awards dinner in Chapel Hill
- Enrollment in Entrepreneur's Lab course
- One-on-one meetings with an Entrepreneur-in-Residence to develop a personal Entrepreneurial Leadership Development Plan
- Monthly conversations with founders, funders and high-growth executives
- Opportunity to build a personal board of advisors that will help you imagine and achieve your entrepreneurial career aspirations
Build an Individualized Board of Advisors. Adams Apprentices are offered exclusive access to Adams Advisors - a select group of Carolina alumni and friends uniquely positioned to open doors and facilitate entrepreneurial success in multiple career pathways. Spanning industries, functional knowledge and career stages, Adams Advisors have successfully founded, funded and led entrepreneurial enterprises and have agreed to guide the Adams Apprentices as they work to achieve their professional aspirations. All Adams Apprentices will be expected to develop a personal board of a minimum of three to five advisors from the community of Adams Advisors by the completion of their year in the program.
Learn from Success. Adams Apprentices will enroll in Dr. Ted Zoller's Entrepreneurs Lab class in the spring where apprentices will be exposed to leading founders, funders and growth executives, and international thought-leaders in entrepreneurship.
Craft a Transition Strategy. Adams Apprentices will work in close consultation with the program's Entrepreneur-in-Residence, Brett Nicol, and Leadership Consultant, Scott Brown, to create a Leadership Development Plan that formulates an Entrepreneurial Transition Strategy and the competencies, experiences and skills that the apprentice will require to make the transition.
Lead By Example. Our expectation is that the Advisor/Apprentice relationships will last far beyond the program year. We also fully expect that those who experience the program will want to continue to contribute. From our perspective, a successful apprenticeship year concludes with an offer to coach the next class of Apprentices. And as we ultimately anticipate success for all our Apprentices, we believe that in time, you will return the opportunity to a future Apprentice as an Advisor.
Attend Exclusive Networking Events. The Adams Apprenticeship comes with the opportunity to attend invite-only exclusive networking events and opportunities, providing you with privileged access to national entrepreneurial leaders. The Adams Entrepreneurial Pioneer Awards Dinner will occur in February in Chapel Hill, and all apprentices and advisors are invited. The dinner will feature a headline speaker and kick off the program year. Additional targeted meetups will occur in the Bay Area, New York and in the future the Boston region.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Am I eligible for the program?
- The program will accept 10-15 undergraduate juniors and 10-15 graduate students. All UNC graduate programs are eligible. Graduate students must be in their second-to-last year of their program (eg. 1st year MBA, 2L, etc.) The program spans the calendar year to optimize for students’ recruiting and venture launches (Jan 2018 - Dec 2018). This enables Apprentices to leverage the Adams resources for both internship and full-time job searches. We are looking for exceptional students from across UNC who are committed to pursuing an entrepreneurial career as a founder, funder or growth executive, and who are committed to building personal connections to accelerate their career goals.
- If I have never started a business, can I still apply?
- Yes. In addition to founders, many of our applicants go on to be funders or growth executives. Your application should demonstrate that you have an entrepreneurial mindset and that you have been innovative in past endeavors.
- If I am studying abroad for a semester in 2018, can I still apply? How do we feel about this based on this year?
- Yes. While the apprenticeship is only one year, you are a member of the network for life. However, we do expect that those abroad make extra efforts to take part in the program while abroad (Skype, potentially flying to major events, etc) and make sure to prioritize the apprenticeship during their semester at UNC. Additionally, we expect all apprentices to make every effort to attend our Gala and Conference in February, 2018 whether stateside or abroad.
- Do you accept PhD students into the program?
- Yes. You must show that you have an entrepreneurial mindset and expect to be a founder, funder or growth executive after graduation. If you are in at least the second year of your PhD program, you are eligible to apply.
- What are the requirements of students in the program? Why do we ask students to prioritize the Adams Apprenticeship?
- The Apprenticeship is designed for "all in" entrepreneurs who will proactively engage in the program. By submitting your application, I agree that participating in the Adams Apprenticeship will be a priority among my 2018 student obligations. This includes attending events, co-curriculars and actively engaging in the program. Please refer to this page.
- Who should I have write my recommendation?
- We highly recommend someone who knows you in a professional context and can speak to your promise as an entrepreneurial leader. We don’t recommend having friends or family members write a recommendation.
- Can I save my application once I start it?
- Yes, and you can view the application in whole below.
If you have questions, email us: firstname.lastname@example.org